top of page

OUR HISTORY

FROM 1938 TO THE PRESENT DAY

SVDGUI-201712-PassionElipson-980x260.jpg

1938

multimoteur.png

From Multimoteur to Elipson

elipson2.png

1951

elipson3.png

1973

elipson4.png

1990

2010

elipson5.png

The history of Elipson is inextricably linked to its general manager, Joseph Léon. Formed at the Arts et Métiers, his ingenuity and the simplicity of the solutions he brings will make him one of the pioneers in the world of sound reproduction and audiophilia.

Joseph Léon joined the Multimoteur company in 1946, which was at that time a small company specializing in the production of electric motors for toys that had existed since 1938. The company also produced miniature electrical equipment used in the construction of transformers, generators and alternators.


The first audio research carried out by Mr Bazin and Mr Latour took place in 1940, research which later gave birth to the famous "BS50 Chambord" model: a sphere with an elliptical reflector. The arrival of Joseph Léon at the head of the company in 1948 brought a new wind, and the company began extensive research into reflectors and resonators. Finally, in 1951, Multimoteur became Elipson, a contraction of "ellipse" and "son" (and therefore to be pronounced "Elipson" and not "Elipsonne").

« In the 50s and 60s, an uninformed visitor to the Vitry studio might have thought they were visiting the workshop of a modern sculptor. In the white dust and under the glass roofs of the classic artist's studio, skilful moulders were hard at work under the direction of Mr Nicolas, who had come specially from Tuscany. Only 150 copies could be made from a single mould, and only about fifty speakers left the workshop each day. (...) I remember noticing a mould four metres long that had only been used once! At the back of the workshop was a mountain of abandoned prototypes, shaped like ancient amphorae, rabbit ears, eggs and spheres, all objects whose destiny was to carry sound, but which lay there, beautiful, useless, poetically white.»

Extract from a tribute to Joseph Léon, by Édouard Pastor.

Research in all directions.

Joseph Léon, thanks to his training as an engineer, integrates into Elipson's creations a whole research made of perfection and rigour. Starting from his personal observation that the loudspeaker is and will remain the weakest point in sound reproduction, he sets out to succeed in producing the truest and most vivid sound, with all the subjectivity that this includes.

The heart of Joseph Léon's research is to concentrate all the acoustic energy of the loudspeaker through the reflector, which will give Elipson loudspeakers a style never seen before, and at the time ultramodern. Its cone and reflector system now allows large spaces to be sounded with precision and quality.

The large number of models from this period reflects the profusion of ideas and the ever more perfectionist search for sound reproduction.

recherche_joseph_leon.PNG
Modèles AS40 et AS50_elipson.JPG
Amphore réflecteur 140_elipson.JPG
4240_elipson.JPG
Elipson_402_historique.jpg
LEGACY_3230_05.jpg

Elipson's revival

In 2008, a young entrepreneur in love with the brand took over the direction of Elipson with his partner, Eric James. Philippe Carré wanted to revive the avant-garde design and sound perfection that had made the brand so successful.

To achieve this, he repositioned the brand in the world of decoration and design. This atypical positioning allows Elipson to find a place apart in the hi-fi world today. To achieve this, it has surrounded itself with a new creative director in the person of Jean-Yves Le Porcher and the designer Jullien Thaler, well known in the audiophile world for his passion for Elipson speakers and his website dedicated to the brand's heritage.

One of the first creations of this new team is the 4260 loudspeaker, which re-inscribes Elipson in its history and its know-how in high fidelity. For the public, Elipson creates the Planet L and Planet M, spherical speakers which illustrate the will of the brand to invest the territory of the house, thanks to an object as beautiful as acoustically powerful. The wideband of the historical speakers is replaced by a coaxial loudspeaker, which focuses the sound in a precise way and contributes to create a deep and wide sound scene.

 

Elipson thus synthesizes the best of both eras.

ELIPSON-JosephLeon_MinistrePeyrefitte.jp
ELI_Couv_experimentationGRM-INA.jpg
Elipson_AtelierFabrication-VitrysurSeine
Elipson_AtelierFabrication-VitrysurSeine
ELI_FRISE-HISTORIQUE_Frise portrait sans texte.jpg

BS 50

Designed for the 1st light and sound show at Château de Chambort

LA RELIGIEUSE

1st loudspeaker multiway, in collaboration with ORTF

502

4050

Sound system for the Olympic Games in Grenoble

1303

1405

PLANET L

ALPHA & OMEGA

Purchase of Elipson by AV Industry group

PRESTIGE FACET 8B

1st turntable with integrated bluetooth

INFINITE 14

LEGACY 3230

HERITAGE XLS 15

REFERENCE P1 & A2700

W35 Xi & PLANET LW Xi

New range completely connected Airplay & Chromecast

ELIPSON PATENT
115683.png

1st patent for the ellipsoidal reflector

ELIPSON PATENT
115683.png

Patente for enclosure with acoustic link using 2 resonators

ELIPSON PATENT
115683.png

1st patent for acoustic phasing, symmetrical load

ELIPSON PATENT
115683.png

Patent of internal load with three Helmohltz resonators

apt-x-448x219.jpg
bottom of page